Wednesday, April 09, 2014

VDR updated to 2.0.x

I finally got around to update VDR to version 2.0.x
I'm using this version since some time and it is working fine for me. However, I'm quite sure that there are some kinks to be ironed out.
I'm not sure if updating from an old openSUSE VDR installation is a good idea or if it would be better to start from scratch. Personally, I'd do the latter and only keep my channels.conf.

The recommended way for starting VDR from systemd is now the runvdr-extreme-systemd package, the old runvdr init script is still available from the vdr-runvdr package, but is completely untested.

Configuration now happens in /etc/runvdr.conf, the old /etc/sysconfig/vdr is no longer read at all.

Normally, only the used plugins need to be added to runvdr.conf like
AddPlugin streamdev-server
AddPlugin epgsearch --logfile=/var/log/epgsearch/log --verbose=3
AddPlugin xineliboutput --local=none --remote=37890

This should be the equivalent of old sysconfig values
VDR_PLUGINS="streamdev-server epgsearch xineliboutput"
VDR_PLUGIN_ARGS_streamdev_server=""
VDR_PLUGIN_ARGS_epgsearch="--logfile=/var/log/epgsearch/log --verbose=3"
VDR_PLUGIN_ARGS_xineliboutput="--local=none --remote=37890"

The settings in runvdr.conf are commented, so the config file should be easy to understand.

If you are using vdradmin-am and are importing the old vdradmin.conf (I'd actually advise to start from scratch there, too) then you need to change the SVDR port setting to the new default of 6419 (or change the SVDRPORT variable for VDR to the old value).

The "supported" plugins are maintained in the "vdr" repository of the openSUSE Buildservice. I'm collection "unsupported" additional plugins in "vdr:plugins". The definition of "supported" right now is "the stuff that I use", simply because I cannot really test stuff that I don't use on a daily basis. Of course if someone wants to help maintain these things, I'm more than willing to move things into the main "vdr" repository.
Stuff that is in the supported repository will most likely end up in Factory and thus in openSUSE 13.2.

Bugreports via bugzilla or the opensuse-factory mailinlist, please ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment